It’s my first weekly update on my progress into publishing 100 books, many of which are either already in draft form or researched and planned to the point where the writing is the least of my concerns.
You know, like any good author.
Which is why I spent my nights much of the past week getting myself completely organized and working on logistics more than writing. That included putting together my initial plan for a publishing slate (subject to change, yeah).
I did work on writing over the weekend, but only after crossing off many major steps from my list.
I’m not worried about easing into writing because my plan is to pick off two books that are low-hanging fruit first — and using those to better understand everything from the book layout process to the distribution process.
The first two books I am planning to publish have two key commonalities:
- They’re already completely written and revised, needing only a final copy edit and some art.
- I’m pretty sure I can’t sell either one due to Big Law, so they’ll be eBook giveaways (with physical options sold at cost).
But they’re both done, I really like both of them (and I think many others will too), so I’m planning to publish them during this calendar year, hitting my goal of one published book per month in November 2022 and December 2022.
Starting in January I will be ready to start my publishing company and begin cranking out the rest of the titles.
What I did this week
- Mon, Oct 17, 2022 – Launched accountability site… published initial accountability blog post… created about page… publicized this whole thing
- Tue, Oct 18, 2022 – Made master list of every book draft, outline, screenplay, and idea… made rough plan for release
- Wed, Oct 19, 2022 – Scoped illustrations needed and created job posting… scoped copy editing needed and reached out to copy editor friend… met with accountability group to discuss strategy
- Thu, Oct 20, 2022 – Weekly Retro newsletter done… set up email account and service for notifications for this website (currently in the warmup phase)… initial research into how to start a publishing company
- Fri, Oct 21, 2022 – Research into starting a publishing company… deep research into ISBNs and the mechanics of publishing
- Sat, Oct 22, 2022 – Worked on 80s trivia book
- Sun, Oct 23, 2022 – Worked on 80s trivia book
To follow along on this road
Thanks to everyone who signed up to get notifications about these posts, as well as everyone who offered supporting comments on social media and over email. Even a few people I saw in person this week commented.
If you’re interested in following along, the best way will be the email list.
Thanks, I’ll be back in a week if not sooner.