My plan was to publish my first book (of the 100 I will be publishing) by the end of this month. With two days left in November, I won’t hit that deadline.
The process for starting the engines on this whole publishing endeavor took longer than expected. Especially since I want to do things the “right” way.
That means: A professional book cover, a professional edit, and a professional company behind the process.
It took me longer than anticipated to find and hire an artist. Had I been looking for a one-off book cover, it would be done; instead, I’m trying to approach everything with a long-term view and looked for a long-term hire.
Copy editing a 70,000-word novel takes a long time. I don’t want to rush the book out with mistakes.
And setting up a publishing company, getting all the proper tools in place, and working on multiple books all also take time. Especially when I’ve only got around an hour or two free per night to work on things.
So the novel isn’t ready to go by the end of November, but everything is moving in the right direction… so soon. One day soon.
Since, after all, this whole deal isn’t about publishing one book, it’s about publishing 100x that.
What I did this week
- Monday, November 21st, 2022 – Work on 80s toys trivia book… working with artist… accountability blog… week planning
- Tuesday, November 22nd, 2022 – Work on 80s toys trivia book… working with artist
- Wednesday, November 23rd, 2022 – Work on 80s toys trivia book… working with artist
- Thursday, November 24th, 2022 – Retro newsletter done
- Friday, November 25th, 2022 – Work on 80s toys trivia book… working with artist
- Saturday, November 26th, 2022 – Work on future Retro newsletters
- Sunday, November 27th, 2022 – Work on 80s toys trivia book… planning with artist
Review: My 3 big goals for the week were:
- Curate 120 pieces of trivia for book, rewriting, organizing, and vetting ✅ – Tearing through the fact curation, organization, and rewriting for the ’80s toys trivia book.
- Work with artist and copy editor to get first book ready for publication ASAP ✅ – Continued working with artist on book cover and character sketches for the first novel. Also chatted with copy editor about timelines.
- Continue streak of one hour per day of work on this project even with the busy Thanksgiving travel season (without detracting from quality family time) ✅ – Continued my streak of one hour a day of work on the project with no problems during Thanksgiving travel.
3 big goals for the week
- Curate 120 more pieces of trivia for book, rewriting, organizing, and vetting
- Finish cover, spine, and back cover of novel with artist
- Begin cover work on second book with artist
To follow along
Subscribe to get email alerts about new updates on my journey to publishing 100 books. You can use the form below.